St. Charles Parish Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

PLEASE NOTE: These are all the current frequently asked questions for St. Charles Parish. To see various topics, click on the drop down menus below.

  • What is the serial number stamped on my cart?

    Each address has a cart assigned to it indicated by the serial number stamped on your cart. This helps residents keep up with their cart, and helps Pelican Waste or the parish locate lost carts. 
  • What about parking on collection days?

    Do not park at the curb on collection day. If a car is blocking the safe collection of your garbage by the semi-automated equipment, then the driver will not pick up at the time. You will not receive collection service. In order to be serviced, all carts should be placed at least 3 feet from vehicles, trees, mailboxes, fence posts, etc as discussed previously. In those few locations where parking is an extreme problem, place carts on the driveway or next to the curb with the wheels against the curb, and park autos so fast to accommodate the safe collection of garbage. When delivered, your wheeled cart will be placed in the correct position for collection.
  • What if my cart is stolen, damaged or destroyed?

    The wheeled cart is the property of Pelican Waste & Debris or the city and must not be painted, abused, mutilated, altered or modified in any way. If the cart is damaged or stolen, the following policy applies: if the damage is your fault, you will be required to pay for a replacement. If the collection contractor damages your cart, it will be replaced at no charge. Stolen carts must be reported to the Sheriff's Office.
  • How often will be garbage be collected?

    Household garbage placed in the wheeled garbage carts will be picked up two times per week. The small bulky waste will be collected on the second day. Please call (985) 873 -9553 for the specific collection days.  
  • What size carts are available and what does it cost?

    Initially each household will be given a 96 gallon cart. The cart should provide adequate capacity for an average household. There is a monthly charge for an additional cart. 
  • When does my bulky waste get collected?

    Bulk Waste "Boom Truck Service" will bi-weekly pickup large items with weights or volumes greater than those allowed for containers. Bulky waste includes automobile parts, (fenders, seats, camper tops and other parts not to exceeding 400 pounds) furniture, window air conditioning units, yard waste construction debris, but excludes dead animals, hazardous waste and stable waste.
  • When do I place my cart at curbside for pickup?

    You should move the carts to the front curb the night before your collection day, but no later than 5 a.m. on your collection day. Promptly remove your cart from the curb after it has been emptied.
  • What do I put in my garbage cart and how often is it collected?

    Household garbage should be bagged before placing the cart. By placing your garbage in plastic bags you will keep your cart clean and minimize odors and spillage. Do not put hot ashes or coals, household hazardous waste and medical waste in your cart. DO NOT OVERFILL CARTS. The lids must remain closed to prevent littering, to allow for semi-automated collection, help control odors and varmints. Residents are allowed to place items on side of cart for additional service on their collection day. You should occasionally clean your cart with bleach or ammonia.
  • What happens if my family moves?

    The cart belongs to St. Charles Parish and must remain at your former residence.
  • What if my cart is overloaded?

    Please place extra items on the side of carts for collection. The contractor will collect up to two cubic yards per week at roadside not to exceed six feet in length or 75 pounds. The contractor shall collect boxes and other light packaging or containers place adjacent to residential and small commercial service units.
  • How can I remove wild animals or feral cats from my property?

    FOR ANIMALS THAT CAN BE TRAPPED: Residents can come to the shelter to get a trap, which will require a $25 deposit. The deposit will be returned once the trap is returned. The resident then sets the trap in his or her yard. When an animal is trapped, Animal Control is contacted to come and collect the trap during normal business hours.

    FOR OTHER WILDLIFE: Please call the shelter so that they can put you in touch with entities that can work on your issue.

  • Is an A99 better or worse than an AE? Is an AE better or worse than an 0.2PCT Annual Chance? Please explain the different ratings.

    You can see an explanation of the different flood zones at the FEMA website.

    AE zones are higher-risk than 0.2PCT Annual Chance zones. A99 zones are areas with a 1 percent annual chance of flooding that will be protected by a federal flood control system where construction has reached specified legal requirements. No depths or base flood elevations are shown within these zones; therefore, AE zones are higher-risk than A99 zones.

  • How often will FEMA change the flood maps?

    St. Charles Parish Coastal Zone Manager Earl Matherne has advised that there is no regular map update schedule. FEMA updates maps when funds are available or sometimes after larger developments such as flood protection project completions and/or major flooding events.
  • Where can I obtain an elevation certificate for my property?

    If a certificate is on file with the Planning and Zoning Office, you may obtain a copy from that office by contacting them.

  • How much will the levee project for the West Bank cost to complete?

    Roughly $300 million.

  • When will the Montz (West Shore) levee be built?

    The project is expected to be approved by Congress in May 2015. At that point the region can begin to request funding from the federal government to begin construction.
  • Why does most of the East Bank have a federal levee but not the West Bank?

    The East Bank levee already had an agreed-upon alignment, was permitted by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and thus became eligible for federal funding after Hurricane Katrina as part of the HSDRRS project that surrounds the greater New Orleans area.

    The West Bank did not have this scenario at the time. 

  • What materials are accepted in the parish's public recycling bins?

    For more information on what's accepted at the parish's public recycling bins, as well as locations, see this page.

  • Each year a line item on our tax bill is for the Lafourche Levee District. According to a recent interview, Lafourche Levees are in good condition. Why aren't SCP WB levees in as good a condition?

    The Lafourche Basin Levee District is responsible for maintaining 60+ miles of federally funded river levees on the West Bank of St. Charles Parish and similar levees in St. John the Baptist, St. James, Ascension and Assumption parishes. The parish entered into a cooperative endeavor agreement with Lafourche Basin Levee District to plan and construct its West Bank Hurricane Protection Levee in 2008. Construction on the Willowridge Reach began in 2013. Squabbles over alignments in previous years prevented the levee from being constructed at an earlier date.

    Lafourche Parish also has two other levee districts that represent different parts of that parish. The North Lafourche Levee District represents the areas west of the St. Charles / Lafourche Parish line in Des Allemands. They are the ones constructing the new bulkhead on the Lafourche side of the bayou. Also, they maintain the Larose levees.

    Southern parts of Lafourche Parish are represented by the South Lafourche Levee District. This levee district is in the process of constructing a local version of the Morganza-to-the-Gulf project, which is federally authorized, but not funded.

    St. Charles Parish residents do not pay property tax millages to either of these two Lafourche-only districts.

    The Lafourche Basin Levee District has an agreement with the North Lafourche Levee District to be the sole party responsible for any alignment that comes out of Donaldsonville-to-the-Gulf studies, which includes the Highway 90 alignment.That alignment would offer protection to the West Bank of St. Charles Parish.

    All property tax millages that are paid by St. Charles Parish residents are returned to St. Charles Parish in the form of levee maintenance within the parish and in-kind services, etc.

  • What if my collection day falls on a holiday?

    Holidays observed are Mardi Gras, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. Garbage will be collected on your next collection day. The parish will post notices regarding these holidays before they occur.

  • What are some general facts about water?

    • An average person can go nearly two months without eating. Less than a week without water could kill you.
    • 80 percent of the world is covered by water or ice. Only about 20 percent is dry land. 
    • 97 percent of the water on earth is salty ocean, and 2 percent is frozen. The remaining 1 percent is available to meet human needs. 
    • If you are an adult, your body contains about 40 quarts, or 10 gallons of water. A man's body is 60 to 65 percent water. A woman's body is 50 to 60 percent water. The human brain is about 75 percent water. 
    • A human loses 2.5 to 3 quarts of water per day through normal elimination, sweating and breathing. If you exercise or live in a humid climate, you may lose another quart. 
    • Water has zero calories and zero sugar, but a good drink of water can reduce hunger. Water also helps your body metabolize stored fats, helps maintain proper muscle tone and helps rid the body of waste.
    • Typically, less than 1 percent of the treated drinking water produced by utilities is actually consumed by people. Most goes for lawns, showers and tubs, toilets, etc. 
    • Each person uses about 100 gallons of water a day at home.
  • What are some tips for conserving water, saving energy and lowering my water bill?

    Check for Leaks
    • A small hole only 1/8-inch in diameter can leak almost 100,000 gallons of water in a month.
    • Any leak, regardless of how small, should be repaired promptly. 
    • Check faucets for leaks. Just a slow drip can waste 15 to 20 gallons per day. 
    • Check toilets for leaks. Put a bit of food coloring in each toilet tank. Without flushing, watch for a few minutes to see if the color shows up in the bowl. It's not uncommon to lose up to 100 gallons a day from one of these otherwise invisible toilet leaks. Leak detection kits are also available at the waterworks office for pickup.
    • Investigate any running or standing water outside your residence. 
    • Monitor water consumption by reading the water meter.
    Conserve Water
    • Minimize use of hot water to save on electricity or natural gas.
    • Avoid using a toilet as a wastebasket or ashtray. Toilets use the most water inside with an average of 27 gallons per person per day. 
    • Water should not be allowed to run continuously while brushing teeth, shaving, washing dishes or washing a car. 
    • Use a broom to clean driveways and sidewalks rather than hosing to clean them. 
    • Take a shallow tub bath or short term shower. Five minutes for showering and about five inches in the tub is plenty. Showers use an average of 25 to 50 gallons per person per day. 
    • Use water conservation features on dishwashers and washing machines and use only when there is a full load. 
    • Install water saving devices such as flush savers, faucet aerators and low flow shower heads. 
    • Water your lawn and garden early or late, not in midday heat. Avoid windy days. See that water goes where it should, not on sidewalks or driveways. Lawn sprinkling uses the most water outdoors. A single lawn sprinkler spraying five gallons per minute uses 50 percent more water in one hour than a combination of ten toilet flushes, two five-minute showers, two dishwasher loads and a full load of clothes.
    • Know where the master shutoff valve is located in your home. If your water pipes burst, you could experience flooding and property damage, not to mention immense water waste. 
    • If you have a swimming pool, get a cover for it. Evaporation can make hundreds, even thousands of gallons of water disappear. A pool cover cuts the loss by 90 percent. 
    • Reducing water consumption reduces the sewer bill.
    Water Saving Tips For Kids
    • Fill your glasses halfway when you get a drink of water. That way you won't throw away water you don't drink.
    • Collect rainwater in a bucket. You can use the water to play with instead of getting water from the hose.
    • Turn down the hot water. If you want the hot water to become cooler, try turning the hot water down instead of turning the cold water up. 
    • Use a cup when you drink from a fountain. Fill up a cup instead of leaning down and trying to gulp down all that water at once. Use the paper cup over and over again, and then recycle. 
    • Wash your bike with a bucket and sponge instead of letting the hose run. Hoses can waste five gallons a minute while a bucket uses only one gallon of water. 
    • Turn off the tap while you brush your teeth. You'll save two to three gallons of water per day.
  • What is the safe drinking water fee on my bill?

    Each community water system is responsible for collecting $12.00 per active account for the Department of Health’s Safe Drinking Water Program. This fee is mandated by the State Legislature.

    The Department of Health, Office of Public Health, was first authorized to assess Safe Drinking Water Fees by Act 125 of the First Extraordinary Session of the 2000 Louisiana Legislature and St. Charles Parish Waterworks began billing this fee in July 2000.

    The new Safe Drinking Water (SD) Fee enacted by Act 605 of the 2016 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature became effective January 1, 2017. Act 605 increased the SD Fee to its current amount of $12.00 and changed the billing frequency. Citizens can expect to see this fee assessed on their monthly bills.

  • Who do I make payment to?

    Payments are made out to the booster club you are affiliated with as per Organized Team Sports Manual. However, if it is a parishwide league that is sponsored by the Department of Parks and Recreation, such as American League baseball (ages 9 through 14), girls softball (ages 9 through 16), fall baseball (ages 9 through 14) and St. Charles Parish Girls Basketball (9-16), payments must then be made out to the Department of Parks and Recreation.
  • How does registration work?

    There are a few options to register your child:
    • If it is a parishwide league, such as fall baseball, girls softball, and girls basketball, you must register online through the Department of Parks and Recreation website and pay online. Individual booster clubs offer online registration with online payment for various sports such as football, volleyball, cheerleading, basketball, baseball and t-ball.
    • The Department of Parks and Recreation office, in collaboration with the booster clubs, offers a night registration at the Edward A. Dufesne Community Center. Dates and times are to be determined by both the booster club and the Department of Parks and Recreation office. Times, dates and locations will be posted in the important dates calendar at the beginning of registration.
    • Some booster clubs may offer an additional date and location to register. Some booster clubs offer online registration as well. For more information please contact your booster club representative.
  • How do I find out about registration information?

    The Parks and Recreation Department provides information pertaining to registration in the following ways:
    • Information pertaining to registration is posted on the Department of Parks and Recreation website. Information can also be obtained by calling the office at (985) 783-5090.
    • Registration information can be found on SCP-TV and in the local newspaper. 
    • If you would like to receive information about registration dates, sign up for e-newsletters based on the type of sport you are interested in.
  • When does registration start?

    Both the start date and deadline date of registrations are voted upon by booster club representatives at the Organized Team Sports meetings.

    • Registration is generally open for one month, depending on the sport.
    • If you registered your child but did not pay by the time of the deadline, the booster clubs have the right to reject your registration.
  • How do I find out if a game is rained out or cancelled?

    Information on rained out games will be posted on the Department of Parks and Recreation scheduling site. Rained out and games are typically not rescheduled due to the length of the schedule. You can also be notified of rain-out/cancellations by joining our e-mail list.

  • What does the Department of Parks and Recreation Department supply for sports programs?

    • Baseball and softball: Catchers gear, game balls, practice balls, t-ball tee (for coaches only)
    • Football: Helmet and shoulder pads
    • Basketball: Basketballs (gym attendant only)
    • Volleyball: Volleyballs (gym attendant only)
  • Do I have to pay for each sport, or is there a one-time fee?

    Registration fees are collected for every child for each sport that he or she participates in.

  • What does the registration fee cover?

    The registration fee covers the cost of the uniform for the participant.

  • What if we choose not to participate?

    If you choose not to participate, please contact the booster club you are affiliated with and ask for a refund. If you are playing in a parishwide or franchise league sponsored by the Department of Parks and Recreation, please contact the office at (985) 783-5090 to discuss your refund. However, once uniforms are ordered, refunds will not be issued.

  • Does my child have to play in his or her age group?

    Players not making the cutoff must play within their age group. Cutoffs for each sport are listed on the registration forms. Regarding the player’s ability or talent, the player must still play within his or her age group. If there is not a team within the age group that your child has signed up in, your child may play up in age group. A player's age is determined by the cutoff date.

  • Does my child have to play for the booster club within the area that I live?

    Yes. All participants must play within their booster club. If a booster club does not have a team within the age group that you signed up, your child's information will be sent to the second exchange booster club. If that booster club does not have a team in that age division, your child will be sent to the third exchange booster club.

    For more information regarding exchange booster clubs please contact the Department of Parks and Recreation and someone will be able to assist you.

  • What do I do if I do not receive a call for practice or to find out what team my child is on?

    If your child is playing recreational sports and you did not receive a call, please contact your booster club regarding the situation. If your child is playing American League or parishwide and did not receive a call for practice or team information, please contact the Department of Parks and Recreation so the situation can be rectified.

  • When will the schedules be posted?

    The schedules are typically posted a week before a league starts. Once we have received all booster club team counts, schedules will be posted online. We will not post schedules before this time because booster clubs can eliminate teams due to coaching or participation issues.

  • Who selects teams for the recreation sports leagues?

    Booster clubs are responsible for the drafting of teams for the recreation leagues. Once the registration deadline has passed, all registration forms will be handed over to the booster club in order for them to start drafting teams. Once a coach is selected and the team is drafted, the coach or coaches of that booster club's team or teams will contact the players selected on his or her team. For the American League, girls parishwide basketball and girls parishwide softball leagues, the Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for drafting the teams based on evaluation scores.

  • What is a parishwide league?

    A parishwide league is a league designed for girls ages ages 9 through 16 and boys ages 9 through 14. All players will be evaluated and scored on certain areas of play. Players with the highest scores will be divided amongst the teams for fair play. Players making the all-star teams the year before will be divided amongst the teams the same way. All participants will be placed on a team in the parishwide league. Parishwide leagues consist of girls basketball ages 9 through16, girls softball ages 9 through 16, boys American League baseball ages 9 through 14 and boys fall ball (no evaluation for this league) ages 6 through 14.

  • What is the American League?

    A franchise league is a more competitive atmosphere than our recreation baseball league. Players are evaluated on a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest score. For instance, baseball players are scored on the following criteria: Fielding, hitting, arm strength and fly balls. If a player does not make the American League, he will then be placed in the recreational league. His information will be sent to his respective booster club.

  • What if my child is not receiving enough playing time?

    The Department of Parks and Recreation's policies emphasize the importance that every player plays. Coaches are given a coaching code of ethics form to fill out and sign at the beginning of each season. If a player is not receiving the recommended playing time explained in the rules, the parent of that child must first contact the coach and discuss the situation. The parent must then contact the booster club and discuss the situation with said representative. The coach reserves the right to discipline any player due to conduct detrimental to the team and continued absenteeism from scheduled practices.

  • Who selects the coaches for recreation sports programs?

    Coach selection is the responsibility of the booster club and its representatives. The Department of Parks and Recreation is not responsible for selecting either coaches or assistant coaches for each booster club. However, in the parishwide league or American League, the department is responsible for the coaches’ selection. The department is responsible for selecting the all-star coaches for various sports which offer all-star competitions. Coaches must fill out a coaching application. Coaches are selected based on experience, conduct, sportsmanship and coaching ethics.

  • How much do I have to pay?

    Registration fees for each sport are determined by and voted upon by the booster clubs at the Organized Team Sports meetings. This information can also be found on our website as well as the booster clubs' websites.

  • How should I handle debris from tree cutting and similar activities?

    Any landowner who cuts down a tree containing any parts with a circumference of 36 inches or greater at the cut line is responsible for the removal of said tree and its limbs and branches from the property, unless the resident cuts the material into smaller pieces. In addition, landowners are responsible for removing all debris left over from any activities (tree cutting, etc.) which result in more than 10 cubic yards of vegetative debris. If a resident uses a contractor to cut down trees or remove vegetation, the resident has the obligation to inform the contractor that it is the contractor’s obligation to remove the generated debris and haul it to a proper landfill. Please note that only licensed arborists are legally able to cut down trees commercially in St. Charles Parish. For a list of these services, visit the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry website at (Ordinance 2013-0356)
  • How should I handle debris from a building construction or renovation I am undertaking?

    Those seeking a permit to construct or renovate a building within St. Charles Parish must provide to the Planning and Zoning Department a copy of a debris removal plan to either 1) contain the resulting debris in an approved container or 2) have the debris hauled offsite daily during construction. For minor residential permits, the Planning and Zoning may accept an alternative form of debris removal. Failure to take these measures could result in a penalty fine of not more than $500 and/or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or the payment of restitution costs to Public Works as determined by the court for each offense. (Ordinance 2013-0353)
  • I posted a flier on a parish stop sign. Why was it removed?

    It is illegal to attach fliers or any type of temporary signage on posts belonging to stop signs or other roadway signage, such as speed limit signs. These signs will be removed by parish personnel. For more information on sign regulations in St. Charles Parish, click here.

  • I found a pet. What happens now?

    If you are interested in owning this animal, complete a FOUND REPORT by contacting the shelter or filling out this form, and keep the pet at your home. Once you surrender the pet to the shelter, you are not entitled to the pet. 

    Found report information is made available to owners who have lost their animals. If you intend to keep the animal as your pet, you are required to license the animal within 30 days of finding it. If the owner is found and wants their pet returned, you are required to return the animal to the owner at any time.

    You have the right to be reimbursed by the owner for your expenses associated with the care and keeping of the animal. Keep your receipts!
  • What happens when I surrender my pet/animal to the shelter?


    • Behavior Evaluation: All healthy pets surrendered to the shelter will be evaluated by the shelter’s animal behavior staff to determine if they qualify for our adoption program. Animals that exhibit certain unsocial, destructive or potentially dangerous behaviors will not be made available for adoption. These behaviors include, but are not limited to growling, alarm barking, trying to bite, hyperactivity, avoiding human contact, etc. Animals that appear friendly are given a health exam.
    • Health Exam: Pets are evaluated by our medical staff to determine if the pet is healthy. Healthy animals are given routine vaccinations, de-wormer and a flea treatment. Animals with minor medical conditions may be treated until they recover and/or are made available to another adoption agency. Healthy animals are referred to the shelter veterinarian for surgery as needed.


    • Surgery and Adoption: Healthy and friendly pets will be surgically sterilized, vaccinated, microchipped and made available for adoption. Adoptable pets will be available for adoption as long as they remain healthy.
    • Rescue/Transfer: Animals that do not appear friendly but do not pose a safety risk to people or other animals may be transferred to other adoption agencies, provided there are agencies available that are willing to take over the care and adoption of the pet.
    • Euthanasia: Euthanasia means the humane death of an animal. At the animal shelter, the procedure is conducted by highly skilled, certified euthanasia technicians. Euthanasia is conducted in a clinical setting using the same techniques as a private veterinarian.

    Animals may be euthanized when:

    • It is determined that a pet may pose a safety risk to people or other animals.
    • It is determined that a pet has a health condition that, even if treated, will not return the animal to a state of complete health.
    • A pet begins to shows signs of stress and/or illness due to confinement at the shelter.
    • A pet does not qualify for our adoption program and there is no other adoption agency willing to admit the pet into their program.
    • Space is unavailable.

    Louisiana state law allows the St. Charles Parish Animal Shelter to make your pet immediately available for adoption. Louisiana state law allows you to reclaim your pet during a short initial holding period, provided your pet has not already been placed in a new home. You are required to pay all fees and fines associated with the care, keeping, medical treatment and surgery of your pet upon reclaim. Your pet may be euthanized after a one-day holding period including the day of impound or days the shelter is closed. If you have any questions about your pet’s status, please contact the animal shelter at (985) 783-5010.

  • What happens to an animal that is brought into the shelter as a stray?


    • Behavior Evaluation: All healthy stray pets surrendered to the shelter will be evaluated by the shelter’s animal behavior staff to determine if they qualify for our adoption program. Animals that exhibit certain unsocial, destructive or potentially dangerous behaviors will not be made available for adoption. These behaviors include, but are not limited to: Growling, alarm barking, trying to bite, hyperactivity, avoiding human contact, etc. Animals that appear friendly are given a health exam.
    • Health Exam: Pets are evaluated by our medical staff to determine if the pet is healthy. Healthy animals are given routine vaccinations, are de-wormed and are given a flea treatment. Animals with minor medical conditions may be treated until they recover and/or made available to another adoption agency. Healthy animals are referred to the shelter veterinarian for surgery as needed.


    • Surgery and Adoption: Healthy and friendly pets will be surgically sterilized, vaccinated, microchipped and made available for adoption. Adoptable pets will be available for adoption as long as they remain healthy.
    • Rescue/Transfer: Animals that do not appear friendly but do not pose a safety risk to people or other animals may be transferred to other adoption agencies, provided there are agencies available that are willing to take over the care and adoption of the pet.
    • Euthanasia: Euthanasia means the humane death of an animal. At the St. Charles Animal Shelter the procedure is conducted by highly-skilled, certified euthanasia technicians. Euthanasia is conducted in a clinical setting using the same techniques as a private veterinarian.

    Animals may be euthanized when:

    • It is determined that a pet may pose a safety risk to people or other animals.
    • It is determined that a pet has a health condition that, even if treated, will not return the animal to a state of complete health.
    • A pet begins to shows signs of stress and/or illness due to confinement at the shelter.
    • A pet does not qualify for our adoption program and there is no other adoption agency willing to admit the pet into their program.
    • Space is unavailable.

    The St. Charles Animal Shelter is required to hold stray dogs and cats for five business days for redemption by the owner. If you have questions about an animal you brought to the shelter, please contact us at (985) 783-5010. You may need to leave a message, and your call will be returned within three days.

  • Can I place a storage unit in my backyard?

    Storage units are allowable in residential back yards, but they must be permitted as residential accessory structures. Please note these rules do not supersede any subdivision covenants and/or restrictions that may be in place in a particular area.

    Ship-to-shore containers and other storage structures not intended for use as a residential accessory structure may only be placed if they are  rented, and for only one year.

    For more information please call the Planning and Zoning Department at (985) 783-5060.
  • What are the rules for keeping horses or other livestock (including chickens) on my property?

    For the local ordinances on keeping animals NOT considered pets and the keeping of exotic animals, click here.
  • How do I obtain a tobacco and/or alcohol license for my business in St. Charles Parish?

    Parish alcohol licenses are obtained from the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office at (985) 783-6237 (ask for the 'Tax Office'). Any businesses wishing to sell alcoholic beverages must meet zoning requirements and location restrictions for alcoholic beverages businesses. You can get more information on these requirements by calling Planning and Zoning at (985) 783-5060 and asking for a planner. A state license is also required for any business selling alcoholic beverages. More information is available at
  • How do I obtain a business license in St. Charles Parish?

    A business or occupational license is obtained from the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office. They may be reached at (985) 783-6237. The occupational licensing process requires a Certificate of Zoning Compliance for the business location from the Planning and Zoning Department, which may be reached at (985) 783-5060, and registration with the St. Charles Parish School Board’s Sales and Use Tax Office, which may be reached at (985) 785-3125.
  • What do I do with my white goods?

    White goods – also known as large appliances – are collected once per week. For pickup service, call Public Works at (985) 331-8604.
  • How can I request a cart replacement or repair?

    Call Public Works at (985) 331-8604. You may also fill out the online form. All garbage pickup complaints may also be sent via this method. Please note that the contractor will only replace damaged or stolen carts.

  • When is my garbage pickup day?

    • Wednesday and Saturday from I-310 through Montz.
    • Tuesday and Friday from I-310 through St. Rose.

    • Monday and Thursday – Towns of Killona, Taft, Hahnville, Luling (between River Road and Highway 90), Mozella, Paradis, Des Allemands, Bayou Gauche.

    • Tuesday and Friday – Luling (Willowdale, Davis Plantation, Willowridge, Lakewood West, Mimosa Park, Coronado Park), Boutte (south of Highway 90 to I-310) and Ama (effective March 23, 2015).

    * Carts should be placed with handles facing the street.

    More information: (985) 873-9553.

  • Who is provided garbage service?

    Parish garbage collection is provided to residences and small businesses with active water meters that are being billed for the service on their water bills. Owners of vacant lots do not pay these fees; therefore trash placed in front of vacant lots will not be collected.
  • My street light is out. Who should I contact to have it fixed?

    Street light outages may be reported to the parish Contract Monitor's Office at (985) 764-1207. You may also choose to fill out the form located here.
  • Will the parish need to rebuild or replace any of the current wastewater plants?

    The Wastewater Department is constantly making repairs to the system, and the parish president and council have been providing monies to do so.

    The 20-year life expectancy of the plants is being extended through a good maintenance program. But at some point in the future, the plants will have to be replaced or upgraded (maintenance cost continually increase with age). The Oxidation Pond will need to be dredged at some time in the future.

  • Does the wastewater plant discharge wastewater into the wetlands?

    The Luling Oxidation Pond discharges treated wastewater into the wetlands south of Luling. The Hahnville and Destrehan Wastewater Treatment Plants discharge into the Mississippi River.

    The parish has three sewer treatment facilities: One in Hahnville (2.3 million gallons per day), one in Destrehan (6 million gallons per day) and the Luling Oxidation Pond (3.2 million gallons per day), which has been in operation since the mid-1960s. All the wastewater from I-310 east goes to the Oxidation Pond. It is a faculative pond, meaning the wastewater goes into one area and then through a series of separating curtains and eventually to a discharge point.

    During that time, which takes 20 to 30 days, there is a lot of biological activity going on. Bacteria eat the organics and sediment from the wastewater and the remaining non-organics settle to the bottom.

    The water then goes through disinfection to make it suitable for discharge into the wetlands.

    The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality has set the limits for wetland assimilation, and this program helps reclaim wetlands. The nutrients in the effluent helps the local vegetation. So far it has been very successful in promoting vegetative growth in the area. The area is continually monitored. We are also in the process of verifying carbon credits within the discharge area.

    Overall, the cost of treating wastewater through an oxidation pond is cheaper than treating it through a mechanical plant.
  • What is a backflow preventer?

    Another name for a backflow preventer is also a 'check valve'. This device stops sewerage flow from backing up into a home. Most older houses do not have backflow preventers, but from the 1980s until now, they have been required in new construction.

    If your home has a backflow preventer, there should be a 4-inch cleanout no more than four feet from the slab, and another 6-inch cleanout near the street.
  • What is a lift station and how does it work?

    A lift station consists of a well and two or more pumps that collect sewerage and lift it to a higher elevation. A pump station then pumps the collected sewage and sends it to the treatment facility. Sewerage is gravity fed into a main line, and those lines will be pumped at the lift station from that location to another location, and then downstream to the treatment plant. 

    The parish operates over 300 lift/pump stations.

  • What substances should never go down the drain?

    Oil and grease is very detrimental to the sewer system. Frying pans and pots of oil should NEVER be put down the garbage disposal. These substances clog up the pipes and cause plugged lines. Grease solidifies within the sewer system and causes dams.

    Never put any harmful chemicals down the drain, nor any plastics or metals. The only thing flushed down the toilet should be tissues; never paper towels. All substances put down the drain should be biodegradable.
  • Who should I contact for garbage pickup complaints?

    You may either fill out a form on the website or call Public Works. All pertinent information on your options can be found here.
  • Can I view a map of my lot and/or zoning information on the parish website?

    Yes. Website users can look up parcel ownership and attribute information on the St. Charles Parish interactive map in a variety of ways. 

    The first is zooming into the desired parcel and clicking the information button (i) on the tool bar, then selecting the property search tool and clicking on the parcel. A window will then open with all the ownership information.

    Website users can also find parcel information by selecting the 'Search GIS Database' tab and typing in the PI_CODE of the parcel. A box will then open at the bottom of the screen listing the attribute information. This window provides a variety of options to either export the information to an Excel file, a PDF and more.

    The St. Charles Parish Geographic Information Systems Office is constantly updating parcel attribute information. If you are searching for a parcel and it does not have the attribute information you need, please contact the Assessor's Office.

  • Why is fluoride added to drinking water in St. Charles Parish?

    State law requires the Louisiana Office of Public Health Department of Health and Hospitals to promulgate rules and regulations relative to the fluoridation of public water systems, including but not limited to, maintaining levels of fluoride in public water systems within the optimal range for the purpose of protecting the oral health of the citizens of this state.

    In addition, in July 1981 the parish council enacted an ordinance requiring all water systems of the parish to be fluoridated. The guidance issued by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals is to maintain fluoride concentration in the range of 0.7 to 1.2 parts per million. We set our target at 0.85 ppm and sample every day to confirm.

    Fluoride-containing compounds are used in topical and systemic fluoride therapy for preventing tooth decay. They are used for water fluoridation and in many products associated with oral hygiene. Originally, sodium fluoride was used to fluoridate water; however, hexafluorosilicic acid (H2SiF6) and its salt sodium hexafluorosilicate (Na2SiF6) are more commonly used additives, especially in the United States.

    The St. Charles Parish Department of Waterworks utilizes hydrofluosilicic acid for fluoride addition and optimization. The fluoridation of water is known to prevent tooth decay and is considered by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as "one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century."

    Find more information on the CDC's community water fluoridation page at
  • Can I park a boat in my front yard?

    The parish zoning code does not specifically prohibit parking boats in front residential yards. However, there are zoning regulations regarding the payload capacity of vehicles/trailers which are parked in the required front yard. Usually boats and trailers do not exceed the payload capacity. However, the boats cannot be parked over sidewalks or prohibit vehicular sight lines.

    Please be aware some subdivision covenants may address boats. Covenants are enforced by private civic associations and residents.
  • How do you read a water meter?

    Each revolution of the red sweep hand indicates 10 gallons. The numbers around the face are gallons, and the marks are one tenth of a gallon. All readings taken by Waterworks are in hundreds of gallons, meaning we read from left to right all but the last two numbers, including the fixed zero. Any consumption shown on the bill are also in hundreds of gallons. To convert to gallons, add two zeros to the end.
  • What should I do if my pet goes missing?

    • First and foremost, make sure your pet is microchipped. This can help you get your pet back quickly in the event he or she goes missing. Microchips are available at the shelter or your veterinarian's office.
    • Contact the animal shelter immediately with the breed, age, sex and name of your missing pet, or fill out the form located here. Animal Control officers routinely pick up stray animals they find running at large. This could include your pet. Let the shelter know what to look for.
    • Contact local veterinarian offices about your missing pet. Find a list of vets in the area by downloading the Resource Directory.
    • Check other animal shelters in surrounding areas for your pet.
    • Continue to check the local animal shelter for your pet. 
    • Hand out fliers around your neighborhood and/or hang up notices in businesses with a photo and description of your missing pet. Please note it is illegal to post fliers on stop signs or other metal roadway signage.
    • Don't give up hope. Sometimes it takes months for pets to be found.
    • For more information, contact the shelter at (985) 783-5010.

  • I would like to do contract work for the parish. What steps should I take?

    Individuals, businesses and vendors interested in doing contract work with the parish should be placed on the parish's bidder's list. This can be done by contacting the parish's Procurement Office at (985) 783-5000 or by clicking here.
  • How do I obtain a contractor's license in St. Charles Parish?

    Currently, St. Charles Parish does not require licensing or registration for contractors beyond those required by the State Licensing Board for Contractors. For more information, visit
  • How much is the adoption fee for animals at the shelter?

    The adoption fee for all animals at the shelter is $80 as of September 2009. To see a list of what this fee includes, click here.

  • A friend of mine said her small dog was attacked and killed by a hawk. Are there any other dangers from local wildlife I should be aware of?

    Here in rural South Louisiana there is an abundance of wildlife that can be harmful to both you and your pet. There have been recent reports of dogs being attacked by hawks and sightings of coyotes on residential streets. These animals should be considered dangerous, and it is best to keep a safe distance.

    Animal Control officers have limited resources when it comes to controlling wildlife, so the best defense is to be vigilant. Keep an eye on your pets at all times when they are outside. For more information on coyotes, see the following download:

  • I just adopted a puppy, and he'll be coming with me on walks around my neighborhood. What should I know about handling my dog in public?

    Everything you need to know about taking your animals out in public can be found in the parish code of ordinances under Section 4. It's important to know that it is illegal to allow your animal to run at large, even if you accompany then. If you're going for a walk, use a leash.

    And be sure to bring along plastic bags to pick up after your dog. Dispose of the waste in a sanitary manner. Allowing your dog to use the bathroom on any property other than your own is considered a public nuisance. Other nuisance behaviors are illegal too, such as excessive barking and chasing vehicles.

    Going for walks is an essential and fun activity for any dog owner, but please be considerate around your neighbors and their property.
  • Where can I bring hazardous materials such as oil, paint and old electronics for disposal?

    A Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day is scheduled each year in the spring by local industry sponsors. For more information on what you are allowed to bring to this drop-off, visit the website. The event is supported by St. Charles and St. John Parishes, local industry and the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality. Please check the parish's website calendar for upcoming events as information becomes available.

    Best Buy and Office Depot both take electronics for recycling. Visit their Web sites to find out more information on their policies. For more information on where to bring other recyclables locally visit the HHMCD Web page.
  • Will the parish install subsurface drainage on my property?

    Implementing Subsurface Drainage

    Correctly implementing subsurface drainage in an area serviced by open ditches requires more than simply installing a minimum-sized culvert. A proper analysis is necessary to determine what effects introducing subsurface drainage will have on the surrounding area, not simply one parcel. The volume of water a ditch conveys during and following rainfall must be addressed. This requires consideration of the characteristics of not only the proposed site but upstream and downstream factors as well. This information cannot be obtained by visiting one residence and employing sound judgment. It is possible and likely that areas miles away will be affected.

    Existing Driveway Culverts
    Existing driveways throughout the parish present a problem for the installation of subsurface drainage. It is not uncommon for a driveway culvert to be inadequately sized and sloped. To correctly implement subsurface drainage, installation must meet the elevation of any existing culverts and provide for appropriate flow. These requirements can be contradictory when a system is constructed in a piecemeal fashion.

    Existing Subsurface Drainage
    Subsurface drainage installed prior to 2008 has created some problems. Many of the structures are not graded properly, and some are partially or completely filled with debris, substantially damaged or continually hold water. Adding to a problematic system without addressing the existing problems will cause additional system failures.

    Available Capacity
    As Figure 1 demonstrates, installation of a pipe into an existing ditch may reduce both capacity and storage of the system. This further demonstrates why a systematic approach to drainage is necessary as opposed to intermittent installation.

    The parish has obtained legal guidance stating that it may not expend funds on individual aesthetic improvements to private property. This includes the cost of hiring engineers or using parish employees to size individual culverts to replace existing drainage, as well as the actual installation of said culverts. Unless the parish is undertaking an improvement that will result in the betterment of the parish, such as improving the drainage for an entire street or basin or rectifying a safety issue, such as a roadway that is unsafe due to steep shoulder slopes, the resident must undertake the cost to both design and install the aesthetic improvement in question. “St. Charles Parish is prohibited from donating public funds for the engineering of subsurface drainage for the sole benefit of certain private landowners. St. Charles Parish may, however, fund these engineering costs if such an expenditure will be in the best interest of the parish as a whole and not just the private landowners who may receive an indirect benefit of the engineering services.” – Attorney General of Louisiana, James Caldwell

    The improper installation of subsurface drainage can worsen parishwide systematic drainage issues and reduce storage capacity. The funds required to properly design and install a subsurface drainage system makes it a costly undertaking. Because a drainage system needs to be designed as a whole, and not just at a single residence, the design needs to encompass an entire street, if not a large area. Additionally, the cost to maintain a closed system is higher than the cost to maintain an open ditch sytem. An open ditch can be redug relatively quickly and cheaply, while a culvert must be cleaned out with specialized equipment. Finally, the parish cannot legally expend funds on subsurface drainage for aesthetic purposes as described by the attorney general of Louisiana, James D. Caldwell.

  • I am building a new home in St. Charles Parish. What do I need to know about elevation and elevation certificates?

    St. Charles Parish participates in the National Flood Insurance Program through FEMA. That is the reason Flood insurance is available.

    As part of that program, FEMA has issued and the parish has adopted Flood Insurance Rate Maps which specify building elevation requirements for all areas of St. Charles. Some areas require new and substantially altered structures to be elevated above the ground level and some do not. Some areas require that an elevation certificate be provided to document the elevation of the new structures, and some do not.

    The only safe way to make a determination as to the requirements of a proposed project is to call the Department of Planning and Zoning at (985) 783-5060 to discuss the project and its location requirements. Surveyors would provide the elevation certificate to the resident/owner for a fee.

    You will want to mention where you are planning to build so they can tell you about the elevation regulations for that particular area.
  • What are the requirements for installing a fence on my property?

    Fencing requirements can be found here in the code of ordinances. A permit is not required to erect a fence.

    Since the parish has different zoning codes for different areas, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department for any other questions. You will want to let the department know where you live and what kind of fence you want to install.

  • What do I need to do to start a home-based business?

    Home-based businesses are subject to the same business licensing laws as off-site businesses, but they are also licensed by St. Charles Parish via a Home Occupation Permit. Click here to see the rules governing home-based businesses in the code of ordinances.
  • Does the parish have regulations for owning Pit Bull dogs?

    There are some special rules when it comes to Pit Bulls. All Pit Bulls in St. Charles Parish must be registered with the Animal Control office via a microchip. Color pictures of the animal must be filed with registration. An Animal Control officer will inspect the living quarters of the dog before the registration can be approved.

    Please contact the shelter at (985) 783-5010 for more information on setting up a proper enclosure for your Pit Bull, or click here to read the full text of the related ordinance.
  • What should I do regarding my parish utilities if I will be out of town for an extended period?

    The minimum monthly bill for a residential water service with no water usage is $24.79.  We collect the current per-month cost for residential garbage service, as well as $3 as a minimum sewerage charge for the Wastewater Department and $4 for the Waterworks Department. The $4 covers the expense to read the meter, process and mail the bill and collect and process payments for water, sewer and garbage.

    If you will be out of town for extended periods of time, the Contract Monitor's Office, which oversees the garbage contractor for the parish, can issue credits for garbage with proper documentation. They can be reached at (985) 331-8604.
  • Where can I find administrative policies and procedures?

    Administrative polices and procedures and other parish policies can be found on the Parish Policies page.
  • Do I need a permit to operate a garage sale?

    You DO NOT need a permit or any other documentation to operate a garage sale. Please keep in mind that parish ordinances dictate that signage is not to be placed on public rights-of-way, telephone poles or servitudes.
  • Is there a leash law in St. Charles Parish?

    Yes. Section 4-4 of the parish animal ordinances outlines the parish leash law and prohibition against animals running at large. Please help keep your animals safe from harm by having your pet on a leash whenever out of your home or fenced yard. The ordinance applies to both DOGS and CATS. Read the text of the ordinance here.

  • I need information about water leaks.

    Waterworks attempts to give prompt repair to all leaks. Sometimes a customer may want a minor leak repaired immediately when other leaks in the distribution system must be given priority. A judgment must be made by  Waterworks on minor leaks after hours concerning the cost of repair and support services required versus the loss of water.

    Customers should have their own shut off valve. Waterworks will charge $30 during office hours (8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.) and $100 after hours and on holidays to turn water off and/or back on.

  • My water has been shut off. Why?

    Possible causes include:

    • Locked off for nonpayment of bill or NSF.
    • Outside shut off valve turned off.

    PLEASE NOTE: Every attempt is made to notify customers of a planned water turn off, but Waterworks is not responsible for unplanned water outages.

  • My water pressure is low. What are the possible causes?

    Possible causes include:

    • Waterworks flushing the distribution system.
    • Broken water line or main.
    • Home water treatment device.
    • Customer piping clogged.
    • Fire Department using water for a fire in the area.
  • My water has a strange taste or odor. What could be the problem?

    • To eliminate chlorine taste and odor, allow water to stand before use.
    • Ice cubes usually contain off taste or odor from the refrigerator or freezer.
    • Home water purifiers often cause off taste or odor.
    • Sink or lavatory drains can expel odors when water flows into them.
    • Garden hoses can back up water with an off taste or odor into a customer's system.
    • Electric hot water heater anodes (dip tubes) can deteriorate and cause off taste or odor.
    • Algae from the water supply can produce off taste or odor during clear river water season.
    • In the case of rusty water, either the Waterworks' or customer's piping is rusty. Flush the system.
    • In the case of milky water, this is dissolved air in water. Allow the water to stand, and it will become clear.
  • I think my water meter must be wrong.

    Meters are very accurate and are designed to under register with wear.
  • Is it against the law to charge $30 NSF fees, $30 connect fees or a $30 reconnect fee?

    No. All fees charged to customers are approved by the Parish Council and are included in parish ordinances, which are law.
  • Why do I have to pay sewer fees for water used on my lawn or for washing cars?

    The sewer rate billed is 80 percent of the actual rate to allow for non-sewer usage.
  • My neighbor's bill is less than mine.

    Here are some reasons your neighbor's bill may be less:

    • Each family has different usage habits.
    • Comment posting may indicate that a leak was detected.
  • My water bill seems too high.

    Here are some reasons why your bill could be higher:

    • Other utilities are on the bill.
    • Consumption periods may vary.
    • Comment posting may indicate that a leak was detected.
  • Waterworks did not read my meter, because I put something on the lid and it's still there.

    All meters are read each and every month. Meter readers are not provided previous readings, so they cannot guess at the readings. Meter readers are instructed to place all items found on top of the meters back in the same place after the meter is read.
  • Waterworks did not read my meter.

    All meters are read unless estimated. Consumption is estimated only if the meter cannot be read after several attempts, or problems are detected with the meter. Meter readers are not provided previous readings, so they cannot guess at the readings.
  • How do I file a public records request?

    Citizens' Rights Under the Public Records Law (R.S. 44:1-41)

    Anyone 18 or older has the right to examine, copy or obtain a copy of a public record (unless specifically exempted) of any public body including any state, parish or municipal agency or board (including the Legislature). Public records requests may be submitted by mail (by court ruling). Generally anything "having been used, being in use or prepared" for use in the conduct of public business is a public record, regardless of physical form. Public records include such things as drafts of documents, statistics, maps, letters, memos, budget requests, budgets, tapes, electronic data, payrolls, certain retirement information, and tax assessment rolls.

    Records Exempted

    The public records law exempts certain records of state and local agencies and cites all exemptions found in other state laws. Federal laws and court rulings provide additional exemptions. In general, exemptions are designed to prevent disclosure of confidential medical and personal information; proprietary and financial data of individuals and businesses (including tax returns and some information regarding occupational licensing); and selected records of financial institutions.

    Exemptions in the state public records law include records pertaining to a legislative investigation in progress and certain records of prosecutive, investigative, law enforcement and correctional agencies or public health investigators. Some law enforcement records become public once relevant litigation is settled or a final judgment of conviction is made.

    The following information in an initial police report is public record: A narrative description of the alleged offense; its time, date and location; the name and identification of each person charged with the alleged offense or arrested for it; the property or vehicles involved and the names of the investigating officers. Subsequent investigations and reports are not public record.

    Other exemptions include nonfinancial records in the governor's custody as well as internal municipal auditors' working papers until the audit is completed. Certain public employee information is exempt including unlisted home phone numbers, home addresses and phone numbers (at employee's request), Social Security numbers, personnel evaluations (by court ruling), and medical, insurance and some retirement records. Attorney and expert work product done in preparation for trial is exempt.

    Exercising The Right to See a Public Record

    A request for a record should be as specific as possible. A written request can provide documentation for subsequent action if the custodian denies the request. (See sample request letter.)

    No fees may be charged for inspecting records during regular business hours. A requester may be asked to pay in advance if overtime is required to make a public record available.

    The custodian of a record may ask for identification and proof of age. He is also allowed to ask whether a requester is a convicted felon. (A convicted felon who has exhausted all appeals may only request certain records.) A requester may also be required to sign a register. The custodian must provide "all reasonable comfort and facility" for reviewing the record. A copy must be provided, if requested, although a reasonable fee may be charged. The law directs state agencies to charge 25 cents per page for standard size copies. Other public bodies may charge what they deem to be "reasonable." These charges vary significantly among public bodies. An attorney general opinion has recommended that custodians follow the state agency fee schedule.

    If not in "active use" when requested, the record must be "immediately presented." The custodian is required to delete the confidential portion of a record and make the remainder available. If it is unreasonably burdensome or expensive for the custodian to separate the public portion of the record from the confidential portion, the custodian must provide a written statement explaining why. If the record is in "active use," the agency must "promptly certify this in writing" and set a day and an hour within three working days from receipt of the request when the record will be available.

    In the case of parish government, the custodian of records is the Parish Council Secretary.

    If the agency says the record requested is not in its custody, it must "promptly certify this in writing" and "state in detail" the reason for the record's absence, its location and who has custody.

    Sample Letter to Request Public Records

    Dear Custodian of Public Record(s):

    Pursuant to the Public Records Act of Louisiana, R.S. 44:1 et seq., I/we request the following public records be made available for inspection and/or copying:

    [List either specific document(s) you are requesting or if you don't know, describe the information you are requesting as specifically as possible.]

    Under the provisions of R.S. 44:32, if you raise a question as to whether the record requested is a public record, you are required to notify in writing the person making the request of your determination and the reasons, including the legal basis, therefor. Said notice shall be made within three days of the receipt of the request, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal public holidays.

    Under the provisions of R.S. 44:33, Availability of records

    A.(1) When a request is made for a public record to which the public is entitled, the official, clerks of court and the custodian of notarial records in and for the parish of Orleans excepted, who has responsibility for the record shall have the record segregated from other records under his custody so that the public can reasonably view the record.

    (2) If, however, segregating the record would be unreasonably burdensome or expensive, or if the record requested is maintained in a fashion that makes it readily identifiable and renders further segregation unnecessary, the official shall so state in writing and shall state the location of the requested record.

    B.(1) If the public record applied for is immediately available, because of its not being in active use at the time of the application, the public record shall be immediately presented to the authorized person applying for it. If the public record applied for is not immediately available, because of its being in active use at the time of the application, the custodian shall promptly certify this in writing to the applicant, and in his certificate shall fix a day and hour within three days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and legal public holidays, for the exercise of the right granted by this Chapter.

    (2) The fact that the public records are being audited shall in no case be construed as a reason or justification for a refusal to allow inspection of the records except when the public records are in active use by the auditor.

    Amended by Acts 1978, No. 686, §1; Acts 1982, No. 567, §1.

    Under R.S. 44:34, "If any public record applied for by any authorized person is not in the custody or control of the person to whom the application is made, such person shall promptly certify this in writing to the applicant, and shall in the certificate state in detail to the best of his knowledge and belief, the reason for the absence of the record from his custody or control, its location, what person then has custody of the record and the manner and method in which, and the exact time at which it was taken from his custody or control. He shall include in the certificate ample and detailed answers to inquiries of the applicant which may facilitate the exercise of the right granted by this Chapter."

    If you are invoking R.S. 44:34 to deny this request, please answer the following questions in detail.

    1. Is a copy of the requested public record usually located in your office?
    2. Why is your copy of the requested public record absent from your office?
    3. Where is your copy of the requested public record?
    4. Who has received your copy of the requested public record?
    5. How and from whom did the present custodian gain control of your copy of the requested public record?
    6. What was the exact time your copy of the requested public record was taken from your custody and control?
    7. When will your copy of the requested public record be returned to your office?
    8. Is there any other public official who has a copy of the requested public record?
    9. State the name or names of anyone who has a copy of the requested public record?
    10. State the location(s) where the requested public record can be viewed.
    11. State the hours and dates when the requested public record can be viewed.
    12. Penalties for violating the Public Records Act include criminal prosecution.


    Information provided by the Louisiana Public Affairs Research Council

  • What calls do animal control officers NOT go on?

    1. Stray Animals: A stray animal is any animal that is running at large after hours. We will respond to it if a deputy has the animal in custody. Animal Control WILL respond to strays during normal business hours.
    2. Owner Surrenders: Should an owner and/or keeper want to surrender an animal, it must be done during normal working hours through the animal shelter.
    3. Trapped Animals: Any animal that is trapped, tied up or confined pending animal control pickup must be kept until normal working hours.

    All owned animals are the responsibility of its owner and/or keeper. Should said animals be injured, it is the responsibility of the owner and/or keeper to seek medical attention.

  • What should every citizen know about animal control?

    • The St. Charles Parish Animal Shelter holds all strays for seven days before taking any further action. Microchipping is critical because it can reunite pet and owner quickly. If you lose a pet, please notify shelter staff by making a lost report at (985) 783-5010.
    • All pit bulls in the parish are required by law to be microchipped and registered with the animal shelter. An animal control officer will inspect the animal’s enclosure before registration is approved.
    • Citizens may contact Animal Control or the Emergency Operations Center at any time to report strays. However, shelter policy dictates that shelter staff only respond to calls about strays that are in imminent danger on weekends or after hours.
    • Animal Control assists the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office with bite cases. If a bite breaks the skin, the person must seek medical attention and file a report with the sheriff’s office.
    • The shelter has plans to house only the pets of those being evacuated by the parish during hurricanes. Citizens evacuating on their own are required to bring their pets with them.
    • Dog and cat adoptions are $80 and include spay/neuter, a first set of vaccinations, rabies shot, deworming, defleaing, microchipping and a bag of food. Microchipping as a standalone service costs $20 and is available during normal business hours.
  • What calls do animal control officers always go on?

    1. Bite Cases: Should an animal bite a person and break the skin, we will assist the sheriff's office. That person must seek medical attention and file a report with the sheriff's office.
    2. Vicious Animals: A vicious animal is any animal that attacks, causes injury or otherwise exhibits a propensity to endanger the safety of a person or domestic animal.
    3. Injured Animals: Any stray animal in imminent danger or need of immediate medical attention is considered an injured animal.

    A deputy must be the requestor on all of the above calls. We also request a deputy to remain on scene on all calls. Neglected or abused animal calls will be left to the animal control supervisor's discretion as to whether it should be an emergency or standard operation call.