Home Occupation

A business operated from the owner’s home must receive approval from the Planning & Zoning Department, the Sales Tax Office and the Tax Division of the Sheriff’s Office.

Step 1) Make sure your business can operated be from home

Step 2) Apply for a Home Occupation

Here is what you will need:

  • A completed Home Occupation Application.
  • Deed to Property.
  • A notarized affidavit from the property owner if applicant is renting/leasing.
  • Photos of the vehicles to be used for business . 
  • Health Department (985/764-4376) approval for any proposed business that handles/prepares food or beverages.
  • State Fire Marshal approval (504/219-4600) for any proposed business that would have customers coming to the home.
  • The accompanying $25 or $200 fee.
  • A print out of abutting property owners from the Assessor’s Office

Upon receipt of the Home Occupation Permit application, the Planning & Zoning Department will place a sign in front of the applicant’s residence, displaying the intent to operate a home-based business for ten (10) calendar days to allow neighbors time to comment.

The following procedure is used to evaluate the application:

  • If the department does not receive negative commentary during the ten (10) day sign-posting period, the director may approve the application.
  • If the department does receives negative comments, or if the proposed business fits any of the following criteria, the director will forward the application to the Planning & Zoning Commission for consideration.
    • The proposed business demands delivery of a service or product to customers in or at the home.
    • The proposed business requires local, state, or federal agency approval of any phase of the operation (i.e., Board of Health, State Fire Marshal, etc…).
Step 3.) Obtain a registration number and certificate from the Sales Tax Office

Step 4.) Obtain an Occupational License from the Tax Division of the Sheriff's Office

Here is what you will need:

  • Fill out the Occupational License Application with $50 fee. More information here
  • Present the Home Occupation Permit from the Planning and Zoning Department (Step I)
  • The Sales Tax Number from the Sales Tax Office (Step II).
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option