A business owner who is seeking to build a new facility or add-on to an existing structure must receive approval from the Planning & Zoning Department, the Sales Tax Office and the Tax Division of the Sheriff’s Office.
Step 1.) Commercial/Industrial New Construction Permit from the Department of Planning and Zoning
Here is what you will need:
- A completed Commercial/Industrial Permit application.
- A copy of the deed (legal description) to the property.
- Survey and grade certificate of property dated and signed by a licensed land surveyor.
- Two complete sets of stamped building and civil construction plans. Plans shall include the site plan showing all dimensions, building setbacks, required parking, loading, landscaping, fencing and buffer elements.
- One digital (.pdf) copy of the stamped Building and Civil Construction with Manual N, if required
- Drainage plan and calculations stamped by a Louisiana licensed engineer.
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) approval statement if total soil disturbance is greater than one acre. Best Management Practice applies to all construction regardless of size. Call 985-331-4478 for requirement details.
- State Fire Marshal review letter. Call 504-568-8506 for more information.
- Health Department (985-785-1029) approval.
- Copy of driveway permit, if required. Call DOTD (504-437-3100) for state highways and/or
(985-783-5102) for Parish streets.
- St. Charles Parish Waterworks permit.
- St. Charles Parish Wastewater (sewer) permit.
- Contract for construction debris removal
- Contract from a Portable Sanitary Facility Vendor
- Approval Letter from the Levee District for all projects located within 1500 feet of the base of the
levee (East Bank call 225-869-9721, West Bank call 225-265-7545).
- Copy of the Construction Contract (to determine building permit fees).
- Permit and inspection fees paid in full. Permit fees are non-refundable. Plan, review and
inspection may be partially refunded on a pro rata basis.
Here is what you will need to obtain the final certificate of zoning compliance:
- Final as-built survey, including Final Elevation Certificate
- State Fire Marshall and/or other State or Federal agency approval (written)
- Wastewater Department and/or DHH approval (written)
- Building Code Certificate of Compliance (after the final inspection)
- Drainage, parking and landscaping approval
Step 2.) Receive approval of drainage plans by the Department of Public Works
- Submit a Driveway (Culvert) Permit application to the Public Works Department if the proposed facility has a driveway connecting to a parish roadway.
- Fill out the Sales and Use Tax Registration application. You will receive a registration number and certificate immediately.
Step 4.) Obtain an Occupational License from the Tax Division of the Sheriff's Office
Here is what you will need: