Change of Use/Occupancy

Opening a business in an existing facility requires approval from the Department of Planning and Zoning, the Sales Tax Office and the Tax Division of the Sheriff's Office. Follow the steps below.

Step 1) Make sure the location can be used for your business

Step 2) Complete a Change of use/Occupancy application

Here is what you will need:

  • Completed application form.
  • Copy of lease or act of sale to property.
  • Fee payable to St. Charles Parish Department of Finance
  • "General Inspection" report from the LA State Fire Marshal (call 504-568-8506)
  • Sewer verification (for community sewer 985.783.5100; for private treatment 985.764.4376).
  • Site plan showing building size & location, parking lot, loading zone, landscaping, sidewalks

If changes or upgrades to the site are necessary, building permits may be required. For example:

Additional items may may be required for some types of businesses. For example:

  • Wastewater permit for any type of vehicle washing
  • LA Department of Health & Hospital’s Certificate for food sales (985.764.4376)
  • Contract from a hazardous waste hauler for automobile repair services
  • Certification from Cosmetology Board or Barber Board (225-756-3404 or 225.925.1701)
  • Determination of locational compliance for alcoholic beverages sales (link to application form)
Step 3) Obtain a registration number and certificate from the Sales Tax Office

Step 4) Obtain an Occupational License from the Tax Division of the Sheriff's Office:

Here is what you will need:

  • Complete the Occupational License Application with $50 fee. More information here
  • Present the certificate of zoning compliance from the Planning and Zoning Department (Step I)
  • The Sales Tax number from the Sales Tax Office (Step II)
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option