Economic Development and Tourism Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I obtain a tobacco and/or alcohol license for my business in St. Charles Parish?

    Parish alcohol licenses are obtained from the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office at (985) 783-6237 (ask for the 'Tax Office'). Any businesses wishing to sell alcoholic beverages must meet zoning requirements and location restrictions for alcoholic beverages businesses. You can get more information on these requirements by calling Planning and Zoning at (985) 783-5060 and asking for a planner. A state license is also required for any business selling alcoholic beverages. More information is available at
  • How do I obtain a business license in St. Charles Parish?

    A business or occupational license is obtained from the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office. They may be reached at (985) 783-6237. The occupational licensing process requires a Certificate of Zoning Compliance for the business location from the Planning and Zoning Department, which may be reached at (985) 783-5060, and registration with the St. Charles Parish School Board’s Sales and Use Tax Office, which may be reached at (985) 785-3125.
  • I would like to do contract work for the parish. What steps should I take?

    Individuals, businesses and vendors interested in doing contract work with the parish should be placed on the parish's bidder's list. This can be done by contacting the parish's Procurement Office at (985) 783-5000 or by clicking here.
  • How do I obtain a contractor's license in St. Charles Parish?

    Currently, St. Charles Parish does not require licensing or registration for contractors beyond those required by the State Licensing Board for Contractors. For more information, visit
  • What do I need to do to start a home-based business?

    Home-based businesses are subject to the same business licensing laws as off-site businesses, but they are also licensed by St. Charles Parish via a Home Occupation Permit. Click here to see the rules governing home-based businesses in the code of ordinances.
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option