Procedures for Water Service InstallationsAn applicant may apply for water service installation at either the Waterworks or the Planning and Zoning Department.
Before water service is installed, the applicant must:
- Provide personal photo identification, such as a driver's license or a state ID. (If the applicant does not have a picture ID, a Social Security card may be used.)
- Provide a copy of a lease agreement or purchase agreement.
- Provide a Planning and Zoning building permit, if applicable, and a sewer service installation permit or written connection approval form from the Wastewater Department.
- Pay the service charge (see below for applicable fees).
- Pay the meter deposit (see below for applicable fees).
- Complete the application form for service installation and pay the application fee. The property owner is required to sign the application.
|new water service installation fees
METER DEPOSIT ***
|5/8 inch x 3/4 inch *
|5/8 inch x 3/4 inch (second residential for irrigation) *||$825||$50|
|1 inch *
|1 inch (second residential for irrigation) *||$1100||$75|
|2 inch * **||$3500||$375|
|3 inch ** ***||$30||$1200|
|4 inch ** ***||$30
|6 inch ** ***||$30
|8 inch ** ***||$30
|Fire hydrant meter (non potable water)||$30||$150|
* Meter furnished by district
** Customer must install and maintain a reduced pressure backflow preventer. A strainer is required in front of all 2-inch and larger meters.
*** Customer must have the meter installed. District must be notified prior to tapping the main.
**** A deposit must be made before a meter can be opened for service.
PLEASE NOTE: Industrial Customers must install a backflow preventer regardless of meter size.
Service Policy for Existing Unlocated Services
Service will be reconnected at the current connect fee provided the existing service can be located. If a service cannot be located, the current installation fee for a new service will be charged.
Water Meter Installation Policy
It is the policy of the Waterworks Department to not install water meters beyond the ends of existing water mains.
Meter Size Upgrades
Most upgrades to a larger size service will require the installation of new service. Requests for an upgrade will be referred to a superintendent for verification before acceptance. Upgrades shall be referred to the sewer department for adjustment of sewer charges. Any service 2 inches or larger must have a backflow preventer installed before it can be reopened.
Procedures to Connect Existing Water ServiceTo open and/or connect to an existing water service, the applicant should apply in person at the Luling office. Arrangements can be made over the telephone, if planned ahead, to mail in or place required information, identification and fees in the office's outside payment depository.
Before an account is opened, the applicant must:
- Provide a personal photo identification such as a driver's license or a state ID. (If the applicant does not have a picture ID, a Social Security card may be used.)
- Current Green Card or any Legal Documentation that authorizes residency in the U.S.
- Provide Proof Of Occupancy (Ex. Lease, Act of Sale, Damage Deposit Receipt)
- Pay the connection fee of $30. For meter deposit information, please see the meter deposits section below.
Meter DepositsAll active water accounts are required to have a meter deposit. Water meter deposits will be used to cover any unpaid balances due for water charges, regardless of the billing period in which these charges were incurred. Any remaining balances are used to cover outstanding sewer, garbage and sewer installation charges. State and parish agencies are exempt from meter deposits but must pay for service installations. A meter deposit is not required on fire line services.
Meter Deposit Rates
|Meter Size||Refundable Meter Deposit|
|5/8 inch x 3/4 inch
|5/8 inch x 3/4 inch (second residential for irrigation)||$50|
|1 inch (second residential for irrigation)||$75|
|Fire hydrant meter (non potable water)||$150|
Meter Deposit Transfers
When a customer wishes to close one account and open another, the existing meter deposit on the old account will be transferred to the new account, regardless of the amount. The transfer must be made within five working days, or another deposit must be made on the new account.
Proof of Deposit
All customers without meter deposit information on file that request to transfer to another location must either provide proof of deposit or put down a new deposit.